Any issues/thoughts on using Non-Synology RAM in NAS devices?

Discussion of using non-Synology RAM and if anyone has had issues. Have about a dozen Synology NAS offer years, have had only one device fail memory test initially fro Synology when purchased. Synology technical support seems to like to always point to non-Synology RAM as being an issue with applications, but think it would cause larger issues like unit freezing, rebooting unexpectedly, etc.

I found NAS Compares’ Memory Upgrade Guide very thorough and helpful when I added 8 GB to my DS920+.

3 Likes

Did you use genuine Synology RAM?

Samsung M471A1K43CB1-CTD 8GB DDR4 2666MHz

Ensuring the specs are correct for your device is the first thing to keep in mind, this includes maximum capacity and as @ sk8rs_dad said, NAS Compares is an excellent resource. The next is the duty cycles (TB R/W). Then an understanding that when you use non-Synology parts in a Synology device, issues surrounding those parts will not be supported. If Tech Support decides you have a RAM module issue, the only help to expect is an offer to sell you Synology RAM.

A lot of people get bent out of shape over this, but to me it’s no different than dropping a Chevy engine in your new Ford then being upset that Ford won’t do warranty work on anything engine-related because it’s not their engine. Anytime we go our own way (I have non-Synology RAM in mine) we accept the responsibility that goes with that decision. If we’re not willing to do that, buy the manufacturer’s OEM parts.

1 Like

NAS Compares just put up another article addressing this very issue, dated today: Synology DS723+ NAS Unofficial Memory Upgrades – Crucial, Kingston, Sabrent, 64GB? The article also explains some of the ins-and-outs of Synologys’ efficiency and unseen limitations such as how much memory space the exact CPU in the system is able to address.

1 Like

I have two Kingston KSM26SED8/16MR RAM modules for my DS923+. The specs are: 16GB 2Rx8 2G x 72-Bit PC4-2666 CL19 260-Pin ECC SODIMM. $39 each. They have the same specifications as the RAM sold by Synology. They have been in use since September with no problems (except for an occasional complaint from my NAS that they are not Synology OEM.
https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KSM26SED8_16MR.pdf

It’s too bad Synology makes their RAM so expensive.

1 Like

I firstly used a crucial 4GB with no problems. I swapped it with a crucial 16GB and still have no problems :+1:t3:

1 Like

It’s a great analogy. And I don’t expect Synology to offer warranty support for my system if I drop nonSyn RAM in. But…I do resent it when you have an issue and all they do is blame the RAM. Telling me (which they did) to buy their wildly overpriced RAM without an explicit promise this will solve my problem is the same as a Ford mechanic blaming the Chevy engine for an issue without even looking under the hood. I have no problems with a “it might be this” reaction - but to simply fold your arms and do nothing until I spend money is just not good tech support. I expect, and get from other products, an attitude of “let’s rule out any other possibility before I recommend you spend a lot more money.” And if Ford’s solution costs way way WAY more than Chevy’s and then the Ford people are shocked to discover people ain’t buyin’ their overpriced engine, am I really entirely to blame here?

No, you’re not to blame and I agree with you. Thankfully I’ve never encountered that sort of so-called “support” from Synology using the online tickets or phone support, which was great pre-Covid. I have found the phone support to generally be better during normal Synology business hours, 0900-1600 (9:00 am - 4:00pm) PST, fwiw. On weekends and after / before hours it’s been spotty and post-Covid I have run into after-hours phone support where the tech was less than helpful.

They updated their phone welcome awhile back to say something akin to Only simple stuff by phone, for everything else you really need a ticket.

1 Like

So Synology RAM is the one thing that I recommend most business buy. Its overly expensive, but I have seen 2 different users have legitimate issues using bad ram off of amazon.

Note: This was back before Synology fully adopted ECC and these were non ECC units

For most users though its use at your own risk. ECC in theory should prevent this.

For a data point I am running non synology approved ram in my 1819+ for years now

Does anyone know the real difference between Synology RAM and a generic duplicate? I researched all the information I could find before I bought my RAM. I bought an equivalent that exactly matches every spec I found for Synology RAM.

Their HDD have proprietary firmware update software and probably interacts with DSM in other ways but I doubt that their RAM has anything similar aside from some Syno ROM burned on a chip that identifies the RAM memory board as a Synology product but is there anything else??? Do they claim a functional benefit?

I had seen a Synology tech talking about that Synology doesn’t release it’s clocking, whatever that means, it doesn’t make sense to me. I thought RAM as long as it meets the specs, is pretty ubiquitous.

That probably refers to how Synology will lock you out from using the command line to tweak the clocking parameters for the RAM. They don’t want you to overclock your RAM to increase speed. The possibilities for error increase. It’s not uncommon for CPU or memory board manufacturers to sell their products with the performance parameters defaulting to values below their maximum potential. Doing this increases the chances that their product will be compatible with your device out-of-the-box. You may have to tweak it to push the performance to the max. Synology is notorious for using under-performing equipment/parameters in favor of system stability. That’s been the big complaint of many who want Synology to implement cutting edge technology. They probably do it to minimize the number of support requests which saves them money.