Compatible Seagate hard drives specifically for DS1522+

I’ve really come to appreciate Will’s expertise and insights on Synology NAS, drives, etc.- “Thank you Will!” As a result I’ve taken the steps to get into a DS1522+.

However, I could use some help in trying to figure out the proper Seagate drives for it. My first experience with that has left me more confused than when I just began.

Based on Will’s expertise and affiliate links, plus community advice I’ve seen, people say that Seagates would work (outside of clicking through the initial Synology warning). So I originally ordered one Ironwolf Pro 16 Gig (ST16000NTZ01). But it never mounted (or was found?) by the DS1522+. The hard drive itself had a beeping sound, and so I’m unsure if it’s: Just a DOA drive? -or- That this specific Seagate isn’t compatible with the specific Synology unit, the DS1522+?

In case it was a compatibility issues, I have scoured the internet looking for a Seagate SKU that matches anything I could find on the compatibility lists (which is confounding in itself because the DS1522+ isn’t listed on Synology). No luck there though, so I’m left to think that matching proper SKUs for Seagate is almost impossible, or not necessary?

So as a rookie tech, and Synology, user I’d sure appreciate any advice based on other people’s experience to point me in the right direction for 3rd party (Seagate) drives that Will recommends and links to through the YouTube vids, specifically for the DS1522+.
Which larger capacity (14-20TB) Ironwolf or Ironwolf Pros are people having success with specifically for the DS1522+?

Any help for me to understand this better would be greatly appreciated…thanks!

My friends and I have a ton of Seagate drives fail on us over the years. We swore off Seagate drives for years. After watching Will’s videos I decided to purchase a 16TB Seagate Ironwolf my new DS923+. And as with my previous experiences, out of the box, I got the click of death from the hard drive. Sounds like you had a similar experience. I was trying to get away from Western Digital Reds because of the warnings for high usage hours. I started getting the warnings but but haven’t seen one in a while so maybe that issue has been resolved.

2 Likes

We had problems with DOA when we shipped out electronics equipment to our customers. We ended up inserting shock trackers for expensive equipment and voila - strong correlation of DOA and “bumpy” rides.

In the end we changed forwarder and improved packing and since then we do not see that kind of fault type anymore.

Anyway, if the drive gives a short berp but does not mount it is very likely DOA and you should open an RMA with your supplier or Seagate (depending on how claims are working in your part of the world.)

1 Like

I’m successfully using Toshiba N300 16TB NAS 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive (HDWG31GXZSTA) drives.

1 Like

I have 4x Seagate IronWolf Pro 16TB and working with no problem so far.

1 Like

Thank you all for the helpful advice on my DS1522+ system! I have initiated a RMA and am looking at the options you all have shared.

@Maik_Kleinert - could you share the model/serial numbers for what Seagate IronWolf Pro 16TB units are working for you? (To help with finding them online?)

1 Like

Its the Seagate IronWolf Pro NAS HDD ST16000NT001 - 16 TB 3,5 Zoll SATA 6 Gbit/s CMR

I have been running 3= WD 4TB Enterprise Gold drives for about 7 years on my Drobo 5D3 now they are in my 1522+. Just added 2 Seagate, EOS 4 TB Enterprise drives. 1 as additional 4 TB to the 12 TB I have and 1 as a hot swap backup red to take over fir one of the old WD boys. The WD have been great and test well regularly but I’m pushing my luck at 7 years :wink:. I got the EOS Enterprise drives simply because they were great price at $88 apiece where the Iron Wolf Pro’s were $135 on Amazon at the time.

We are running 30+ SEAGATE EXOS X16/X18 16TB for 1-2 years:

• 2 drives DOA (same delivery, likey due to mishandling by forwarder)
  • no other problems so far

What is your take on recertified Exos drives? I was thinking about buying one of those with 22 TB of capacity to use as the destination for backups of my main storage pool.

I personally really don’t love recertified drives. In my experience they will fail much more often then new drives, and you really don’t even get that much of a savings for it