Full-system backups in Hyper Backup (DSM 7.2) [continued]

Update: issue solved; next to DSM 7.2, you need HB/HB Vault 4.1.0, which is currently in beta.

According to the Synology website, DSM 7.2 supports block-level full-system backups in Hyper Backup. So far, you needed Active Backup for Business to create a bare-metal or full-system backup.

I have not read any user comments on this feature or missed it. The question is, how do I perform such a backup? Am I overlooking a setting?

1 Like

Hello,
Hyper backup and hyper backup vault are currently available in the package manager as a beta program with the desired functions.

1 Like

Hi Paul

Could you share share link to the statement you refer to?
Is it possible that you confused ActiveBackupForBusiness AB4B with Hyperbackup HB?

HB on DDM 7.1 is the swiss army knife to get you Nas content to a wide range of different targets with totally different file systems. To my knowkedge none of targets, not even jobs between 2 Synology stations, support BTRFS. So, when doing a HB jobs of content on a BTRFS volume the snapshots are not included. Only the current file system content is copied (which includes versioning inside the various applications) And since the target file systems do not support data deduplication a HB job is usually significantly bigger on the target compared to the source.

Also, some app settings, such as camera settings of surveillance station, are not covered by HB

So I can not see how HB would work on block level.

AB4B does allow for bare metal restores and works with CBT (changed block tracking) as default setting for Windows computers and VSS when you tick "application aware backup. Both types work on block level. So its likely that the statement you refer to is addressing AB4B and not HB

1 Like

Hi Stephan_Angele
This is the link:

1 Like

Thank you Philipp,
I will have a look at the beta version.

2 Likes

Found it. The beta adds a new option in the task selection.

2 Likes

Awesome! I kinda put this on the back burner of my mind as it had not come out yet but I think this could be really useful! One of my biggest issues with hyperbackup was it did not backup 100% of everything, so doing a full restore from a hard drive was not as clean as it could be.

Block level backups should solve this. Would love to know anyones experience using them! It will be interesting to see what the restore capabilities and limitations are.

1 Like

COOL!

IF THIS STATEMENT HOLDS TRUE than we would have finally a way to migrate BTRFS snapshots.

And it would be a total booster for copy speeds as the whole re-dublication on source to deduplication on target would not be the bottleneck anymore.

This would also mean that Synology has expanded the internal commad set of their BTRFS implementation which could also lead to new features in SSR.
One of the new SSR features could be “replicate historical snapshots”

1 Like

Installed the HB/HBV beta 4.1.0 on source and destination NAS. Running an ‘Entire System’ backup now.

After creating the backup task, a restart was required.
Screen Shot 2023-06-24 at 21.48.14

1 Like

Update:
A 4TB backup over a 1GB Ethernet network took 12 hours. When initiating a restore from HB, I was redirected to Control Panel > Update & Restore > System Recovery tab. Notice that the text on that page mentions Hyper Backup besides Active Backup for Business.

1 Like

Click on the Restore System button, select the restoration source (HB or AB4B) and follow the instructions on screen. Note that a full system restoration takes place, overwriting the entire system. I do not see the possibility of a selective restore.

You can do a full system restore from both HB and AB4B on a running system. During a clean install you can restore AB4B. I have to check that for HB.
Screen Shot 2023-06-25 at 11.11.26

1 Like