How about a detailed tutorial for photographers who want to use a USB drive backup?

Hi,
Thank you to SpaceRex for making such informative videos. The videos helped me get my Synology DS923+ 16GB SHR set up.

I remember in one of the videos that you stressed getting an external drive for backup as a high priority, and that seems like an excellent option for me, as I am a hobby photographer with many GB of photos.

I don’t need daily backups, rapid recovery, or cloud storage as much as I need affordable bulk capacity.

Using an external drive for occasional backup and storing it offsite, as I have in the past still seems like the best option for my use case.

After I got the 923+ RAID setup and populated it with my photo collection I bought an extra 16GB drive and dock and watched the videos dedicated to backup.

What I found is that the recommendation for using the external USB drive is marginalized because it takes discipline to make useful backups, while many of the advanced backup methods are discussed in greater detail.

I am confused about what the best method would be for me to keep a backup mirror on an external drive.

I have used 3rd party folder comparisons run on my personal computer for a long time to manage the synchronization, but have been looking forward to using some of the DSM apps to handle the occasional synchronization of my NAS and External drive.

I have one large directory on my NAS named PHOTOS, and I want to end up with a duplicate of the same PHOTOS directory on my external drive.

I am writing to ask you to consider making a detailed video comparing and contrasting Hyperbackup and USBCopy in the context of creating and maintaining an external mirror that reflects additions, deletions, and changes to data stored on the NAS.

I don’t have much interest in the Synology DSM Photos app. I would rather use the asset managers I am familiar with than adopt the Synthology Photos app. I have lots of different RAW formats, DNGs, Tifs, JPEGs etc.

I am primarily interested in understanding the differences, in detail, between using Hyperback or USB copy to create and maintain a synced backup mirror.

The video “How to set up your NAS” with the screenshots and recommendations was a great help. A video with similar detail, dedicated to the needs of a hobby photographer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Have been planning on doing this! I think this is a really solid idea!

1 Like

Here are my 2 cent on this topic. First i have to point out i only know 1/100 if not 1/1000 of what will and al the other experts know… i was in the same spot wanting to backup to external hd–AND- than towards the cloud ( in my case this is backblaze). quickly i found out this is going to be very expensive since backblaze does not allow to backup anything from a nas to this private plan they have…

the solution for me was this very good software called

it allows you to make exactly what your looking for - making backups of whatever you want from your nas onto the external hd.
rest is simple- the external hd will get backuped to backblaze.

i mean only when you follow this 321 rule you kind of safe- right? what if you use one of this hyper services and your place burns down or whatever…
so thats what i did and it wokrs flawlessly.
greetings from germany. peace.

Hi,
I am particularly interested in learning more about the features built into Synology DSM.

I will store my external drive back up off-site as I am already accustomed to doing.

I went a re-viewed the detailed tutorial about Hyperbackup and it focused on the multi style backup.

I really would like to lear more about the details for keeping a single copy back up up to date with Synology tools.

If I need the backup, I will want to see the entire backup using a basic personal computer OS explorer/finder rather than a special client app made to reconfigure portions of a proprietary multi-copy assemblage.

I already do this with third-party synchronizer applications. Still, they require the use of a PC, so I would like to learn if there is a reliable and more convenient solution available that runs on the DSM 923 and would not require the dedicated use of a PC as a manager.

Thank you.

Hi,
I keep watching your YouTube video listings while hoping you can explore this topic in detail.

I’m trying to avoid “re-inventing the wheel” by personally making a series of detailed scenario comparisons when the results will likely be relegated to personal use while there are persons such as yourself who have created a business of educating end users and who can spread the information to a large and appreciative audience.

I do not like using proprietary iterative backups, so I would like to compare and contrast the ability of Hyperbackup and USB copy to store and maintain a single universally accessible backup mirror of my NAS.

After viewing your exhortations to back up the contents of a NAS, I had hoped to find easy instructions to make a worst-case scenario backup mirror.

Thank you!!! :slight_smile: