Is it possible to connect Active Backup for Business Agent (DSM) to the destination NAS using a non-admin account?

When I try to setup the Active Backup for Business Agent (DSM) with a non-admin user on the backup destination, I get the following error:

Internet error. Please check your Internet connection. If the problem remains, please contact the administrator to check the Internet status of the server.

When I use an admin account for the setup, the setup completes without any errors.
I have set up the Windows Active Backup for Business Agent in the past and had no problem using a non-admin account. I have only had this problem with the DSM agent.
On the destination machine, I have tried delegating manager privileges to the non-admin user through the Active Backup for Business settings, and I have tried giving Read/Write permission to the non-admin user for the ActiveBackupforBusiness share. But, it did not make any difference.
Both machines are on the same private subnet, and both machines have their firewalls disabled.
When I designated the server address for the backup destination, I used it’s IP address.

Backup Source

• Model name: DS1621+

• DSM version: DSM 7.2-64570 Update 1

• Active Backup for Business Agent (DSM) version: 2.5.2-12457

Backup Destination

• Model name: DS1821+

• DSM version: DSM 7.2-64570 Update 1

• Active Backup for Business version: 2.6.0-23032

If anyone has any suggestions on why this is not working or where I can find instructions on how to get this working, I would appreciate it.

Connection logs on the Synology designated as the backup destination show the following:

• The user successfully passed the first authentication of 2FA via [password]

• The user signed in to [DSM] successfully via [password].

But, the Active Backup for Business Agent (DSM) on the backup source Synology still gives the misleading error from the first post:

Internet error. Please check your Internet connection. If the problem remains, please contact the administrator to check the Internet status of the server.

With DSM 7.1 it is possible and i do this frequently.

Did you check that the AB4B user that you use on the client has also sufficient permissions in the shared folders ( read/write for folder, AB4B in Applications, maybe also SMB in Applications)?

1 Like

Thanks for responding, Stephan.
It is good to to know that it can work.
I had given the non-admin user Read/Write to the share and access to all the apps on the destination NAS, but I still had the same problem.
I filed a support ticket with Synology after I posted here on the SpaceRex forum, and they have recreated my problem in the their lab. I will post whatever solution they come up with no matter how silly my mistake is. I should hear back from them again on Wednesday.

On July 5, 2023, Synology escalated my ticket to a senior support engineer and on the 6th I got the following response:

Our development team has confirmed that Administrator account is required in order to perform ABB backups to another NAS using the DSM agent. This was an oversight in the documentation and is currently being updated.