Migration Assistant-Can you make a regular volume encrypted on New Unit Volume/Pool during migration process?

Going to migrate from an Old DS220+ to a 1522+ and (1) would like to have the migrated volume have total encryption. Old Pool on DS220+ 12 2 16TB iron Wolf Pros created before Total Vol Encrpt was an option, New Volume and pool will be the same on 2 new 16 TB IW Prows or adding in another 14TB HDD if I have to. (2) I know instructions says destination pool has to larger but if its the exact same will it still work? Id prefer to hold off adding the new 14 TB for now if a can just use 2 new 16’s in the destination 1522+Thank you.

Volumes are encrypted only when created. So create new encrypted volume before restoring you content from backup.

I migrated with the Migration Assistant once recently, and I can not recall any possibility of creating a volume whatsoever. I suspect that answer 1) is no.
The storage pool that the Migration Assistant creates on the destination NAS must be bigger. The same size won’t work. Answer 2) is no.

I would like to ask your attention regarding your attempt to add a 14TB disk to a pool with 16TB disks. This is not possible. You need to add a disk of the same size or larger.

And a question for my curiosity, if you allow me: what do you expect to gain from an encrypted volume versus non-encrypted? And do you consider a local or remote encryption key vault?

Thank you. I thought in SHR you could use HDDs of any size without a space penalty you had with traditional RAIDs? When I model on the RAID calculator with SHR I get almost all of the 14TB useable (13 of 14 TB useable). I just like the idea of the entire Volume being encrypted than doing it on a per task basis like I do now . Not a huge deal at least it’s a BTRFS volume already. How was the migration assistant experience? TY.

Yes, you can mix disk of different sizes, both with SHR and RAID, but with SHR the disk you add must have at least the capacity of the largest disk in the set. That was my point. Since you start with 16TB disks, you can not add a 14TB disk. The other way round is possible though.

My experience with Migration Assistant (MA) is very positive. I needed to do some tweaks afterwards, like for Virtual Machine Manager, but overall the tool and the reporting is amazing. The MA is in particular interesting if you decide not to take the disks out of the originating NAS.

Sorry for asking about your motivation to use encrypted volume. I notice that it can give users a (false?) sense of security. Encryption in storage is completely different from encryption is transit. Be aware that key management is what can make or break volume encryption. I have seen users that lost the recovery key and were for ever locked out of the volume and their data. Volume encryption with local encryption vault only makes sense if you disks are stolen but your NAS is not.