NAS super slow in Finder with SSD Cache and 10GbE ? Synology DS1522+

Hey Guys,

What’s the reason the NAS gets so slow over the network and nearly freezes when copying files or work from it?

I am in the right IP with the 2.5 GbE Network but then longer I use it the slower it gets every so often. Then I have to disconnect and connect it again to have the full speed. I don’t have Ethernet connected. It feels so laggy, is that normal or do I do something wrong?

Synology DS1522+
4x Seagate 16TB
SYNOLOGY Ethernet, E10G22-T1-Mini 10GbE
400GB SSD for Cache

#1 Would be not connecting via Ethernet. When you’re on Wi-Fi the Wi-Fi controller will self-throttle to conserve energy (battery). This requires requires a change in user approach, i.e. connect via Ethernet, tweak your computer’s Wi-Fi stuff (setting in the OS), etc…

#2 Would be if the unit is doing indexing, which can take a very long time depending on your setting and the volume of data involved. This will self-resolve once it finishes the task.

1 Like

Ethernet is much faster than WIFI. But you mention you’re not on Ethernet but show 2.5GbE? What is the unit really on? Don’t understand that part. WIFI is much slower and has constant adjustments to the data speeds due to distance.

1 Like

I am on 2.5Gbe I have wifi on but have the Server via the Ethernet but after a while it slows down for some reason.

Looks like its set to the LAN 1 wifi even when I am in the IP from the 2.5 Gbe. Can someone help me with this ?

Hmmmm/ USB 2.5Gbe WIFI?
Like a Buffalo USB-Wifi adapter?

1 Like

I am on a MacBook and opened in the browser and finder over the LAN 5 IP which is the 2,5gbe line. But if I turn off wifi its not working super wired and looks like it prefers the LAN 1 for some reason.

Alright finally I found a video and figured out the problem. It was set up wrong with the LAN 5 and gateway.

Video: Setting up a 10GbE Synology WITHOUT a 10GbE Switch on Synology NAS | 4K TUTORIAL

Solution was

1. Remove 10/2.5Gbe cable
  2. Open find.synology.com for NAS location or LAN 1 IP
  3. Set Up LAN 5 and Apple settings (10.10.10.5) (Sub: 255.255.255.0)
  4. Connect 10/2.5Gbe cable
  5. Go to Mac setting and Network
  6. Sett up manually the TCP/IP from the LAN 5 (10.10.10.10) (Sub: 255.255.255.0)

Then the green dot was there and everything was connected.
Open the in browser, the 2.5Gbe line via 10.10.10.5:5000

yeahhh :partying_face::partying_face:

What we tell our customers. Never use router or switches to setup LAN. As old static addresses are locked in. Use PC direct connect to NAS only for IP setups.