Newbie needs help setting up a Synology DS223j NAS, as a home web server

Hi,
Can anyone help me please?
I’ve recently purchased a Synology DS223j NAS web server.

In accordance with the NAS manual, I’ve installed its DSM V7.2 software, Web Station, Apache, PHP.
And I can access its initial index.html in the ‘web’ folder via my LAN.

This is to be a home-server:
And I wish to add several websites to my NAS, which can be reached by anyone on the internet,
when they enter the normal web address, eg: MyWebSite1.com, MyWebSite2.com, etc.

I’ve followed the info in the NAS manual, and on the Synology website,
but I’m not sure which settings I need make.
This info basically tells you what to do, but it seems little help unless you allready know what to do, and what to enter.
eg: How do I know which options to choose, and which values and addresses etc, etc., to enter?

Although I currently have a dynamic IP:
Initially I would like to set this NAS up as if it was a static-IP,
so that I can get a feel for how all that works.
Then I may change its settings later to a dynamic IP.

Can anyone help me with a practical step by step guide, that helps me to input the correct data?

I have looked a loads of video’s,
including the SapceRex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFpEV20_228
…but their Synology DRM doesnt look the same as the DRM in my Synology DS223j, eg:

Most videos that show the setup of multiple websites…
go to: Web Station > Virtual Host

BUT I dont have that (Virtual Host) option listed in my Web Station!
So why is that?
And how/where do I install multiple websites ?

Many thanks.

I also just bought and set up a ds223j. I totally agree with you:
“ This info basically tells you what to do, but it seems little help unless you allready know what to do, and what to enter.”

I spent over 20 hours because I had to watch quite a few videos, made stupid mistakes, lock myself out, had to do 5 resets, contact Synology support several times, etc.

I wish I would have videoed myself and could have done a great beginner video. I hate when the YouTube experts say “easily” ….they don’t understand we don’t know the alphabet soup of the IT world.

I figured out how to set the IP address to manual. Big accomplishment for me but for the experts they will read this and laugh.

I am willing to share with you what I know if you want.

Joe

Hi Joe, thank you for your reply, very sorry for the delay (real life got in the way).
The first of many queries I have, is:

I wish to add several websites to my NAS, which can be reached by anyone on the internet,
when they enter the normal web address, eg: MyWebSite1.com, MyWebSite2.com, etc.
And normally for this to work my server would need to be connected to a static-IP.

Q: But is there any way that this can be done, if my server is connected to a Dynamic-IP ?

There are (DDNS ?) services that I could subscribe to, that will track my changing Dynamic-IP.
But as far as I can tell, my domain would then have to be a prefix to their domain, eg: MyWebSite1.TheirWebsite.com
Synology also offers this service, eg: MyWebSite1.synology.me

Many thanks.

Hi JoeJoe,
Setting up a website on your NAS includes many steps, but basically, there are only two requirements:

1. knowing what must be done
  2. knowing how it must be done

Knowing what must be done requires a deep understanding of several concepts of network technology, such as IP addresses, port forwarding, and DNS.

Next, you should know how to configure a static IP address for the NAS, create DNS records, optionally use a DDNS service, optionally set up a content management system like WordPress, and configure Web Station.
If you have problems with 1, expect bigger problems with 2.

I want you to understand that a description of your setup might not be available on the Internet. There is no generic setup to follow because there are too many variables.
That said, some tips.

IP address
Your NAS needs a static IP address on your local network to implement port forwarding successfully.
Another issue is the external IP address of your router. Is it dynamic or static. If static, that’s great. If dynamic, you need a DDNS service.

Web Station
The configuration has changed significantly with version 4. As you read on the web in tutorials, there has been no virtual host since 7 or 7.1. This was changed again in 7.2.
With Web Station, you can create different websites in terms of folders, services, and domain names. Web Station allows you to run multiple websites on a single NAS.

Content Management System (CMS)
Do you plan to use a CMS or not? WordPress is an example of a CMS.

I created a detailed tutorial on WordPress on Synology. It includes a lot of details of how to configure Web Station 4 on DSM 7.2. Even without using (and skipping) WordPress, this can be useful for you: Successfully install WordPress on Synology NAS (part 3) - Storage Alchemist

Hi Paul,
Thank you so much for your reply.
I will check out your info in the next day or two.

But in the meantime could please answer this for me:
Q: If I have a dynamic IP:
Does DDNS actaully update the DNS table with my latest external IP, so that people can continue to access my TLD (eg: MyWebsite1.com and MyWebsite2.com etc)

Or instead, does it act as a kind of referal to a static IP address, and if so, if I use DDNS, will people be able to continue to access my TLD (eg: MyWebsite1.com and MyWebsite2.com etc)

Hi JoeJoe,

Technically, both options are possible.
The second option, referral, is the most common. The first option, update, is possible if your DNS provider supports this feature.