Non-booting DS415+ after power failure

I recently had a power failure at home in the middle of the night and my DS415+ won’t boot since.

It starts booting, the blue power light blinks and after 20-30secs it shuts down and starts booting again. Without any other led light blinking once.

If I remove all the drives then it boots till the top most led is on. The units does not shut off but I can’t connect to it (find.synology.com can find the unit, but without any info or accessibility)

A couple of years ago I soldered the resistor on the board (known issue) and since the non-booting I replaced the CR1220 battery on the motherboard, sadly to no avail.

So I was wondering if anybody has an idea if this is still fixable. Some say the power supply might be broken, but I rather check with others before buying a new one.

My first reaction would’ve been “it’s lived its life, so time for a new one” but since we’re in the ‘25 hdd-lock era I’m more hesitant to do so. (The 925+ seems like a nice replacement with the 2,5GB network ports).

Thanks a lot for the advice!

Without drives, look into your router settings. Do you see an IP there for the NAS?

When booting without drives in it I can see it as ‘online’ on my router and via find.synology.com

Screenshot 2025-08-06 at 09.18.55

The unit has a solid blue power light, a flashing green light on top (STATUS) and beeped once after ‘powering up’.

Sadly nothing else is happening…

The lights mentioned mean DSM not ready. This link might help:

That’s a good sign. Next, grab an available drive (any SATA will do) that has not been in the NAS. Boot up on that drive alone, install DSM. Do not create a storage pool. Shutdown.

How did that go? If you were able to do that, it suggests an issue with your existing volume.

Just curious… how many drives did you have in the 415? How many volumes? SHR? Other?

I’ll give it a shot in the weekend. Apparently no spare drive around at this moment.

I had 4 drives in it, forming 1 SHR Volume (with multiple Shared Folders).

The moment I plug one (clean) HDD in, the system shuts down and starts the loop of booting, shutting down, booting, … again…

So maybe a power issue? It seems like the system can’t handle to spin/connect a harddrive?

If I had to guess, I’d look to the power supply as the issue.

Yeah, I guess I’ll try with a new power supply… Only about €30 on Amazon, so beats €600-ish for a 925+ and being locked to Synology drives.

Fingers crossed!

The new €31 third-party power supply fixed the issue.

The good ol’ DS415+ is up and running again and just completed a critical security update.

Thanks a lot for the help!