Pool Degraded after DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 3

Reboot right after upgrading to “DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 3”, Pool Degraded messages popped up.
Pool Degraded Issue1
Would this be related to the upgrade or truly a bad hard drive?.. The whole Synology unit has only been in operation for ~11 months and was functioning perfectly till now… Using WD 2TB WD20EFZX Red Plus SATA III 3.5" Internal NAS HDD drives, with Synology DiskStation DS218 2-Bay NAS.

Just as a reference I’m using 4 6TB WD60EFZX-68L0BN1 in a DS920+. Just upgraded and the drives report Healthy. There were some posts about not running WD’s drive monitor software on a Synology because they’re reporting degraded based on drive run time. But at 11 months even that shouldn’t be the issue.

My drives: Power on time 23557 hours

More info, storage manager says volume 1 drive status is healthy, but is degraded.

Does Synology have a utility/app to check if the HDD is good or not?
Also, how do I erase the data on this drive (1 of 2) before I send back for replacement by WD?

About erasing before replacing, you could connect the failed drive to a PC or Mac if you have a SATA to USB connector and remove any partition on it.

I’ve had one of these adapters around for years, very handy. They don’t make this one anymore but there are newer models. Then you can use WD utilities to check out your drive.