Setting up New Synology NAS

Hello,

My work is thinking about getting a Synology NAS currently thinking about gett a 6-bay version.

Are you able to configure it with 3 4tb SSDs and 3 HDD… my thought is you could use the 3 SSDs that I would work off of daily and then use the HDDs as a back-up system.

I am completely new into learning about NAS and trying to learn as much as I can. I appreciate any feedback.

My work is a small 3-4 video editor team and probably only have 2 people working at a time remotely.

You absolutely can do that! I actually just got finished setting this up exactly for a client!

What you do is setup a snapshot replication from the SSD volume to the HDD volume every hour!

1 Like

So I followed your setup based on your video “Complete Beginners Guide…” and I set up 4 of my SSD drives as SRH which gave me about 7.3 TB… should I instead set up the four as a 0 raid and the same with the HHD and then have the snapshot go to the HHD?

This is just food for thought. You might want to consider more than one level of backup for your data. RAID 0 offers no protection. You would be relying 100% on your snapshots to bail you out if you have a failure and only if they are still accessable. Everything you want to do is all in just one NAS right? If you have 4 people saving big video files to this one NAS you might want to consider getting bigger HDDs (8-12Tb) each and set them for RAID 1 or SHR for the volume while having your snapshots saved from the SSDs to your HDDs as a second line of defense (that you are already planned to do). RAID 0 on the SSDs is OK if you build in redundancy in your HDDs. But with much bigger HDDs you can not only do the redundancy (second line of defense) but you can also back up everyone’s computer too. This way your NAS is backing up both the pooled SSD data and a full image of each person’s computer. If anyone’s computer crashes you can rebuild it and if your pooled SSD data is corrupted you can rebuild that too. Backing up computers comes in handy when you are running an older OS or have unsupported legacy software that’s too expensive to always upgrade. If reinstalling the software or the OS isn’t an option the disk images you have will be a life saver.

You can work out a good backup scheme for the NAS in the office but if the place has a fire and your NAS is toast, or worse if it’s encrypted with ransomware that spreads to the other computers what’s the plan then? Down the road you might want to consider backing up the NAS to an offsite location, either the cloud or to another NAS. Then you will have 3 levels of protection and options when rebuilding. Sorry for the long windedness. It’s never a problem until it’s a problem.

1 Like