Hi everyone, hoping someone can help with an issue I’m having. I keep getting alerts from my Synology NAS that ‘The UPS device connected to FileServer has entered battery mode.’ and then usually less than a minute later ‘ The UPS device connected to FileWeasel has returned to AC mode.’
This usually happens at least once a day, sometimes multiple times a day. My NAS is a DS4180play and the UPS is a Cyberpower VP700EILCD.
So far I’ve tried replacing the usb cable connected to the UPS, rebooting both devices, turned off and on the UPS feature on the Synology… nothing has worked.
Does your UPS menu show 100% battery charge and a reasonable “run time” given the power draw from all the attached devices? My first guess is your battery is failing or the UPS is overloaded. How many devices aside from the 4180 Play are attached to your UPS? I’m sure you know not to attach a power strip to the UPS to gain more outlets. Also, have you tried pressing the red reset button on the back of the UPS?
So here is a weird one. I had pretty much the same thing happening after setting up in a new home. Turns out when the electrician landed the lead in the breaker panel, he missed putting the wire under the lug. It was just laying on top the breaker terminal when he torqued the lug. The wire was arcing building up carbon and getting hotter and hotter. If it wasn’t for my ups complaining, it could have burned my house down. Lets hear it for homelabs! The wire doesn’t have to be laying on top for this to happen, just being loose can do it to.
If you look close you can see the lead above the breaker lug and the wire insulation starting to melt.
Thanks for the information, I’m hoping this isn’t the issue as it’s something that has only recently started rather than an issue I’ve always had - but I’ve moved the UPS over to a different set of sockets.
If it still persists then maybe I will have to get someone to look at the wiring…
[Update] I’ve plugged the UPS into a new set of sockets, and over the last few days haven’t seen the issue again… so l’m guessing something is dodgy with those sockets! I won’t use them again until I can someone to check them out… thanks for all the help and suggestions