What are the Pro & Cons using M.2 NVME SSD as Cache?

I was watching some videos, but I am a bit confused or scared.

Scared because I think when I am copying or editing and there is a power cut, ( I know ASP). How fast write the cache to the HDD or does it imminently, and you then use just the M.2 NVME SSD?

I have a DS1522+ and an M.2 NVME SSD (500 GB) which I heard I have to set it down to 300 GB for better running. Is that right ?

Has someone experience with this and can tell me the Pro and Cons?
The reason I bought it was because I do Video editing. Thanks

Hello Maik,

I think it’s fair to say that your M.2NVME SSD will write to your HDD fast enough that the likelihood of data loss during a file transfer from the SSD to HDD is very low. Your DS1522+ has to be very very busy for there to be a substantial lag time between reading from your SSD and writing to your HDD . Most people lose their recent file edits in a power outage by not saving the file often enough.

I don’t know what your file-saving habits are or what kind of computer you use for editing, but if your video editing software is capable of auto-save and you save the files you are working on locally, you can use something like “Synology Drive” to immediately back up the file to your NAS every time your editing software auto-saves. If you edit on a laptop then it has a battery. If the power goes out your laptop will still be running so you won’t lose anything you did in the past few minutes. If your editing software has an auto-save feature and you set it to save every 5 or10 minutes, then your most recent edits will be safe on the laptop and that same file on your NAS will never be more that 5-10 minutes behind the version on your laptop.

N.B. You might want to run the SSD cache advisor. Open Storage Manager and click on the storage pool using the SSD cache (probably Storage Pool 1 and run the SSD Cache Advisor. This will analyze your daily SSD usage and then recommends your ideal cache sizes for your usage habit. Don’t set it to 300GB arbitrarily. The analysis need to monitor the SSDs for no less than one week to provide a good R/W cache size recommendation.

1 Like

Thank you a lot for this information. Yes it was more about the power cut.

I use a Mac and edit in Davinci resolve and there is an Autosave. I will set all up and work for a week to see what the SSD Cache Advisor will show me. What do I have to do after ? So I will leave the 500gb as it is first.

You’re welcome. Create a local folder on your Mac and setup Davinci Resolve to auto-save to that folder. Install Synology Drive Server (Admin Console) from the Package Center on your DS1522+ . Then open it and set up what you can from SETTINGS > GENERAL. You will also need to download Synology Drive Server Client for Mac from the Synology download center online and install it on you laptop. Then configure it to save to your NAS (generally NAS local IP address, username and PW). If your NAS is located at another site (not on the network you’re connected to with your Mac), then you can use QuickConnect to connect to your NAS instead. Set the Client software to BACKUP and not SYNC. If you SYNC and accidentally erase your file on your laptop Drive Server will erase it on your NAS. Synology has setup directions on their website and there are plenty of videos on how to set it up. Will should have one on YouTube. Let us know how it goes.

You can reconfigure the SSD later.