SynoCommunity packages

Just a quick note on adding community built packages to your Synology that can make your life easier:

"
Step 1

Skip this step if you are on DSM7 or later.

Log into your NAS as administrator and go to Main Menu → Package Center → Settings and set Trust Level to Synology Inc. and trusted publishers.

Step 2

In the Package Sources tab, click Add, type SynoCommunity as Name and https://packages.synocommunity.com/ as Location and then press OK to validate.

Step 3

Go back to the Package Center and enjoy SynoCommunity’s packages in the Community tab."

Some of the packages I have come to rely on from there are: SynoCli Monitor tools, SynoCli File tools, SynoCli Network tools. Other creature comforts like vim come in handy for me for when I ssh in, if there is interest, I can add some info here on how I use these. Let me know what are some of your favorite tools and how you use them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice!

Thanks also for putting out the ones you actually use. For me I have a lot of trouble recommending unofficial packages, as you just don’t know 100% of what you are getting unless you actually read the code (which I just do not have time for). Having actual tested and used tools is really helpful!

If you use the ssh cli, tools like bandwhich let you know which clients are connected to the Synology

for file management, I like ncdu to show me which directories are heavy on space utilization.

these tools work for my use case, happy to hear about what others are using :slight_smile:

1 Like

Where do I find the trust Level?

Not sure what you are looking for, but when you add the package source it shows up in the package center as community packages.